27 October 2021
Today your combined delegates met face to face with Sydney Trains, NSW Trains, and Transport for NSW. This included the Chief Executives of Sydney Trains and NSW Trains and Senior TfNSW officials.
There was a strong sense of solidarity amongst your delegates, who were backed by close to 9000 RTBU members that have taken industrial action over the past 2 months to bring the employers to the table to talk seriously about our conditions of employment.
Today, the Transport Secretary informed the Combined Rail Unions (CRU) that he had agreement from the NSW Government to take the 0.3% first year offer off the table and instead offer 2.5% for the first year of the Agreement.
At the table, we rehashed the claims that have been put over the past 5 months of bargaining on MS Teams. It was important that the senior managers of the employers were able to hear your claims in person, from the mouths of your delegates.
To refresh your memory, the claims we put to senior management were:
- One Agreement for Sydney Trains and NSW Trains
- Maintain or improve on current conditions
- Health and safety claims – read them here from page 16.
- Leave matters – read them here from page 13.
- Job security claims – read them here from page 8.
- Claims for the deed – read them here from page 12
- Flexible work claims – read them here from page 19
Importantly, today we also got to speak to the following claims:
- Incorporating all employment arrangements into the EA to protect them into the future. You can find the documents that we seek have inserted into the document here on page 7
- Making the disciplinary processes fairer – you can read the claim here at page 21
As you can see, today your EA bargaining delegates made dramatic progress in the process demonstrating how important the win from last weekend is in the scheme of this bargaining round. Having senior decision makers at the table and having Sydney and NSW Trains in the same room will allow all delegates to present a united front and make serious ground on your log of claims.
We will be meeting on a daily basis for the next two weeks and we will be updating everyone regularly on the progress of this intensive bargaining period so keep an eye on your emails and our Facebook page.
Issued & authorised by Alex Claassens, Secretary, Rail, Tram and Bus Union – NSW Branch
Level 4, 321 Pitt Street,
Sydney NSW 2000
Tel: (02) 92642511
Fax: (02) 92611342